Boulevardier of Broken Dreams
Inspired by the New York Sour and the Boulevardier, Des Moines based bartender Charley Johnson of Clyde's Fine Diner mixed up a cocktail sure to be a local classic. Charley lightened up deep flavors with fresh lime juice and created a rich, smooth mouth feel with the egg white. #incharleywetrust
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Jigger
- Hawthorne Strainer
- Small Mesh Sieve
- 1.5 ounces Bourbon Whiskey
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 1/2 ounce Sweet Vermouth
- 1/2 ounce Lime Juice Fresh squeezed
- 1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
- 1 ounce Red Wine
- 1 each Egg White
- Separate one egg and place the egg white in a small dish and set aside. Discard the yolk.
- Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the egg white in the cocktail shaker.
- Add a medium scoop of ice and shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Use the Hawthorne strainer AND a sieve to strain the cocktail into the smaller half of the shaker and discard the ice. If you are using a three piece shaker, you should strain your cocktail into its separate glass.
- Combine the shaken cocktail and the egg white into the shaker. Do not add ice. "Dry shake" -shaking the cocktail without ice- for 15 seconds to froth the egg white.
- Pour the cocktail into your coupe or favorite cocktail glass. Cheers!
Simple syrup is a 6 Degrees of Delicious pantry staple. Combine equal parts white granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.