Adapted from Jacquy Pfeiffer
1/2 Yellow Onion 2 to 3 Strips of Thick Cut Bacon 1/2 to 3/4 Cups Crème Fraiche 2 + 1/2 Tsp Tapioca Flour 2+ 1/2 Tsp Egg Yolk Pinch of Nutmeg Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Day 1: Make the crème fraiche.
- Day 2: Arrange the oven rack in the middle of the oven and place a pizza stone or upside down sheet tray (cookie sheet) on the rack. Preheat the oven and the pizza stone to 500F.
- Make the Gluten Free Cauliflower Crust.
- Cut the onion in half (root to end), remove the onion skin and thinly slice the onion. Separate the sliced layers and set aside in a small bowl.
- Stack the strips of bacon and lay them horizontally on your cutting board. Cut the bacon into approximately 1/4 inch strips. Place them in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a skillet on medium low heat and add the bacon strips to the pan. Partially cook the bacon until it has rendered some of its fat. You’ll notice the bacon will shrink, but it should not take on much color (about 3 to 4 minutes). Remove strips with a slotted spoon and set on a piece of paper towel to drain.
- Add the onions to the skillet and lightly sauté them until they are soft but not brown (about 2 to 3 minutes). Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and set aside in a small bowl to cool.
- Combine the crème fraiche, tapioca flour, egg yolk, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Grab your cooked and cooled cauliflower crust. Use a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon to evenly spread a couple heaping teaspoons (actual spoons; not measuring spoons) of the crème fraiche mixture over the crust. Be sure to leave a small border around the edge.
- Sprinkle the cooled onions and bacon evenly on top. Transfer the topped crust to a piece of parchment and bake on the pizza stone. Bake for about 3 to 5 minutes until the topping is bubbly. Serve at once. Enjoy!